Saturday, August 28, 2010

Emotive Language

Emotive language relies on the feelings and emotions associated with words rather than just their literal meanings to influence and persuade.

Examples: I am firm, you are obstinate, he is pig-headed.

A fluent and forcible speech delivered by members of our own party is eloquent. The same speech by a member of the opposite party is bombastic.

Questions:

What is the connotation of "an incurable romantic" or "a love sick swine" or "lovelorn"?
“An incurable romantic” connotes a person who is very in roman antic, whereas “a love sick swine” connotes a person who is unable to think or behave sensibly because he or she is deeply in love with someone, especially someone who does not love him or her. “Lovelorn” connotes sympathy towards a person who falls in love with someone that do not love him or her.


What is the connotation of being "madly in love" and " head over heels in love"?
“Madly in love” connotes the satire of a person who is deeply in love. “Head over heels in love” connotes someone falls passionately in love and is intoxicated by the feeling.

What is the connotation of "stop bugging me" and " do not disturb"?
“Stop bugging me” connotes frustration in dealing with someone who is irritating. “Do not disturb” connotes a firm warning to people not to make noise.

(I'm trying to finish my assignment at the 11th hour.) Older brother to irritating sister
“Stop bugging me!”

(Can I borrow your car mom to take my girlfriend on a trip?) Mother's turning down plea of teenage son who has just gotten his learner's driving licence
“I think you are madly in love.”

Posted outside the cage of a sleeping tiger
“Do not disturb.”

A sign on the door of the oral interview room
“Do not disturb.”

Posted on the door of a hotel room
“Do not disturb.”

(I'm in the middle of an important meeting with a client.) Husband on the handphone
“I am busy right now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment